Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Incubus, If Not Now, When?

I first heard this song from Incubus on the in-flight entertainment center while I was flying to Tokyo a few weeks ago. This is the first song on "If Not Now, When?" album. Vocalist Brandon Boyd shows off his amazing range and power in a song that has been rolling around in my head ever since. The way each verse starts low, almost in a talking voice and then builds line by line until Boyd is belting out the last few words is a vocal style I don't recall used in any other song from Incubus or any other group. I think this song would make a fine choice for a young singer looking for a song to showcase their talent in their voice recital or at an American Guild of Music competition. The lyrics, the melody, the range. Just incredible.  


And on a semi related note, President Barrack Obama announced earlier today that he was in support of Marriage for same-sex couples, an issue that no other American President has ever supported.
Obama Says Same-Sex Marriage Should Be Legal
“The thing at root that we think about is, not only Christ sacrificing himself on our behalf, but it’s also the golden rule — you know, treat others the way you would want to be treated,” he said. “And I think that’s what we try to impart to our kids and that’s what motivates me as president.”
If Not Now, When?  Indeed. I applaud President Obama for taking this stand now.  Let the haters hate.  Its all they know how to do.  But the world moves forward even with them digging their heels in.

 Here are the lyrics to the song..

I have waited
Dined on ashes
Swung from chandeliers and climbed Everest
None of it's got me close to this

I've waited all my life
If not now, when will I?

We've been good
Even a blast, but
Don't you feel like something's missing here?
Don't you dare

I've waited all my life
If not now, when will I?
Stand up and face the bright light
Don't hide your eyes
It's time

No umbrellas
No sunglasses
Healing Hallelujah everyday

I've waited all my life
If not now, when will I?
Stand up and face the bright light
Don't hide your eyes
It's time


No comments:

Post a Comment