Sunday, October 30, 2011

Adele to undergoe surgery on her throat, cancels 2011 shows



This is a real bummer.  I hope the surgery is successful and Adele makes a full recovery.    Adele to have surgery to treat vocal cord hemorrhage. What is it?  

“It is with deep regret that Adele has been forced to cancel her remaining live dates and promotional appearances in 2011,” reads the statement on her website. “She is to undergo surgery to alleviate the current issues with her throat and a full recovery is expected. As a result, doctors have ordered her to rest her voice and completely recuperate before looking to schedule any work commitments.”

I am a big fan of Adele.  I was captivated from the first time I heard her sing.  I think she is the greatest singer of this era, such a distinct delicate voice but with so much range and power. wow.            

On a distantly related note I have been a singer/guitar player in rock bands since I was a teenager and I am too familiar with the specter of nagging laryngitis and the long term hoarse voice that comes from too much singing/screaming.   And from the first time I heard Adele, I have been amazed that anyone could sing with that much raw power on the regular basis required on extended tours.  When I hear her singing, I figure maybe once a week she could pull that off, but no way could she perform day after day and have any kind of voice left.  It looks like Adele was performing 4 shows per week and I think that is too much for someone  who puts as much energy and power into their singing as Adele does.




I do think Adele will make a full recovery and be able to hit all the notes and sing with just as much soul and power as ever.  But she won't be able to perform 4 shows a week for weeks on end across the world.  Her promoters, agents, and record label needs to face that.  Otherwise they kill the golden goose and we all lose Adele's talent.

When Adele does return I think she should only schedule occasional live shows for the fans who want to see her enough to pay a premium. Everyone else should just buy the CD. Her managers shouldn't risk permanent damage to Adele's voice by making her perform night after night all over God's green earth. The power that sets Adele's voice apart from the others should be used sparingly so we can continue to enjoy new music from her for a long time. From what I have heard from her so far I look forward to hearing what she has to sing about for a long time.

Get well soon Adele...

No comments:

Post a Comment